Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Sweet Pepper Soup

I made this soup last summer, truly enjoyed it, and then I totally forgot about it. When my CSA box recently arrived with a generous number of sweet peppers, the bright colors set off some kind of bell in my head, and I felt an urgent need to locate this recipe and make the soup again! I found it, happily, in my Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home cookbook, which is one of my favorites. This soup is delicious and can be made very quickly. It's not terribly filling, so I recommend serving it for dinner with a cheese quesadilla and salad, or eating it with a sandwich for lunch, or something along those lines.


Sweet Peppers Soup
Serves 4 (However, I halve this recipe and it works fine, and fed me for three meals)

2 cups chopped onion
1 Tbsp butter or vegetable oil
6 cups chopped red and green bell peppers (about 6 peppers)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp cayenne
2 cups water or vegetable stock (I used chicken stock)
1 cup sour cream (plain yogurt works, too)
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
fresh chopped cilantro

In a covered soup pot, saute the onions on medium heat in the butter or oil for about 3 minutes, until barely softened. Add the bell peppers and spices and cook, covered, until just soft, stirring occasionally. In a blender or food processor (I use my immersion blender), whirl the cooked onions and peppers with the the water or stock and sour cream. Don't over process - small pieces of pepper should remain. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with cilantro and crumbled tortilla chips, if you wish.

Variation: omit the cumin, coriander, and cayenne. Add 1/3 cup chopped fresh dill when you are blending the ingredients together. Serve with croutons, if you wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment