Thursday, May 13, 2010

So. Many. Cupcakes.

So about a month ago, my friend asked me, "Hey Elspeth, any interest in going to this fundraiser that costs $10 and has a ton of cupcakes?". Um. Yes. Absolutely. Let me tell you. I did not hesitate for a second. We were some of the first people there, and we certainly got our cupcakes worth. After much careful deliberation, I ate one cupcake in line and filled my plate with two full size cupcakes, two medium cupcakes and two mini cupcakes. I only ended up eating one of the mini's and I took the rest home, it was so overwhelming to be around that much deliciousness. My friends were lucky enough to acquire a carton of milk from Smith Brothers Milk, who was also at the event - I on the other hand, was not so lucky, and that slowed me down a bit.

The event was Cupcake Camp and according to the website, 1,000 people went, they served 5,000 cupcakes, and raised over $5,000. The site itself has some beautiful pictures that you should check out, but I thought I'd post a few of my own.  We were glad we got there early because when we left there was a line to the end of the block. It was the first year they've done this event, and it was clear by the madness surrounding the cupcake table that they didn't except such a crowd (their site says they predicted 300 people would turn out).  I felt greedy with my plate of cupcakes but there were people with plates towered high, plus people left with full boxes. It was quite a scene.

The event was to raise money for the Hope Heart Institute, which is kind of funny, since I think the event was the most absurd display of unhealthy gorging of food I've seen in a long time, but ah well. Everyone seeemd to have a good time, and they certainly raised a fair amount of money!

All of my favorite cupcake places were at the event, Cupcake Royale (makers of my beloved Salted Caramel cupcake, pictured at left), Wink, Trophy Cupcakes, plus a lot of smaller bakeries and cupcake companies located outside of Seattle proper.  I wish the wrappers had the names on them, because I had a coconut cupcake that was to die for, but alas, I don't know who made it! All in all, it was, though slightly disorganized, a wonderful event that I'm sure will be even better next year.




No comments:

Post a Comment